[VIDEO] How to use your web hosting account as a cloud storage
Description : How to attach your web hosting account's web disk to your computer
Note : While you can technically store any kind of files on your web hosting account, the unlimited storage capacity of our shared web hosting offers are stricly related to the files linked with your websites. However, you can still store a few unrelated important files. On the opposite, on our Linux VPS and dedicated servers, you are free to store any file you please.
1) Login to your web hosting control panel (http://www.yourdomain.com/cpanel)
2) Click on the Web Disk icon inside your cPanel interface.
3) Create a web disk account by choosing a custom username which would be firstname.lastname@example.org.
4) Type a secured password in the password field
5) Select the directory you want to access from your computer. If empty, you'll access all your folders and files. If you want it to be only your website's files, it shall be /public_html.
6) Click the Create button.
Now your web disk account is active. Let's see how we can access it from your computer.
7) Click on Access Web Disk
8) You can select your operating system (Mac OS, Windows, Linux / BSD)
9) If you have selected Windows, for instance, you'll have a link named : Click Here and Save to Your Desktop, it will download a Virtual Basic script
You'll need to make sure that the ports 2077 and 2078 are opened.
10) Find your VBS script inside your download directory on your computer and double click to launch it.
11) A login pop up would appear, you would need to type your login details defined in the first step of this tutorial and hit connect.
That's it! You can now access your web hosting file system directly from your computer without any FTP client. In order to upload / download some files, you would just need to drag and drop from / into the network location window.
Was this answer helpful?
Several services are offering a Secured Shell connection (SSH). Among those services you can find...
This tutorial will teach about using the Index Manager. The Index Manager allows you to...
Securing a wordpress based website is actually quite a challenge. Wordpress being one of the most...
This tutorial will teach how to create custom Error Pages. Create error pages for 404 Not...